Monday, January 15, 2007

Lucky No. 8

USM Open 2007 (Individual) concluded successfully on 13th and 14th Jan @ Dewan Utama Pelajar, USM Penang. The event was a tough one with 2 National Masters and strong players from Penang and other states.

Prize winners:

ChampionNM Ronnie Lim Chuin Hoong(7.5)RM 500 + Certificate + Trophy
SecondNM Ng Tze Han(7.0)RM 300 + Certificate + Trophy
3rdKhor Shi Hong(7.0)RM 200 + Certificate + Trophy
4thAnthony Liong Ing Kiat(7.0)RM 150 + Certificate + Trophy
5thMohd Fadli bin Zakaria(6.5)RM 100 + Certificate + Trophy
6thNik Mohd Nazri bin Hasan(6.5)RM 100 + Certificate + Trophy
7thVictor Hong Wee Liam(6.5)RM 100 + Certificate + Trophy
8thTan Eu Hong(6.5)RM 100 + Certificate + Trophy

refer http://www.pca.bayanbaru.com


Post Mortem:
My opening choice was not so successful for this event. The Catalan Opening seems too drawish and my preparation to start with 1.d4 is not sufficient. This was clear in my last round game against Stonmaster @ Fadli as I slowly let him equalize with his Dutch Stonewall Defence and handing over the initiative to him. Luckily his was kind enough to accept my draw offer and we end up getting 5th and 8th respectively.

However, a point to note is that my round 4 game against the top seed and eventual champion, Ronnie Lim was an interesting up and down struggle. I was having with white and playing the English Attack against his Sicilian Najdorf and putting pressure on him for most of the game until time pressure comes and during time trouble, I made a few blunder and was finally checkmated on the second rank!! with a few seconds left on my clock...

Thus I had met my initial objective of getting top10 in the final standing. I was seeded at 14 place, so getting 8th place was quite a good achievement...

Until next time,
Eu Hong

No comments: