Monday, March 19, 2007

Nemesis Broken!!

Penang Free School Open (PFS Open) was over yesterday. The event was carried out successfully except the number of participants was lesser than what usually expected. Only 80+ turned up and the organiser was very generous having giving out a total of 40 prizes!

The tournament started with Tan Khai Boon as first seed, Chuah Heng Meng second, me third, Lim Cheng Teik forth and Victor Hong fifth. The top seed was upset on round 3 while I later lost at round 4. Cheng Teik later lost to Chuah and finally we went into the final round with me playing white against Chuah while Cheng Teik taking White against Khai Boon. My game was an early draw while Khai Boon and Cheng Teik play out until they reach a K+Q+P vs K+Q+2P with favor to Khai Boon but both players is having time trouble and had to settle for a draw when Cheng Teik gives perpetual checks.

For myself, I had my nemesis of not winning any prize at PFS Open broken when I finished 4th on the final standing due to better tie breaks, the prize we get for 4th-6th is the same, so make no difference. However, I created another nemesis when I lost to Holmes again! This is the third time in a row I lost to him and that sum up to 1 win and 3 loses for me. Hmm...

Well, I had my pre-tournament objectives and goals met so I can conclude that the tournament result is good for me except without any remarkable win over any of the strong players, I guess that happens when there are only 7 rounds and the top seeds had some upset result in the earlier rounds...

Top 6 Standing of PFS Open 2007:
Champion: Chuah Heng Meng, 6.5/7
2nd: Victor Hong, 6/7
3rd: Steven Hoh, 6/7
4th: Tan Eu Hong, 5.5/7
5th: Lim Cheng Teik, 5.5/7
6th: Tan Khai Boon, 5.5/7

Coming up next: CLHS Open 2007 on 25th March which means this coming Sunday.
Refer PCA Official Website for more on results and new PCA tournaments.

Until then,
Eu Hong

No comments: